Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Revised Review: Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew

Austin, Texas - April 29, 2012

Last weekend, I had the chance to hit up Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew for a second time (check out the review after my previous visit here), and boy was I glad I went.  The fatty brisket was pretty much spot on, with pleasant smoke and great taste.  The fat and connective tissues were well-rendered, resulting in a great, tender piece of cooked meat, and the smoke ring on my brisket was exquisite.  The only thing the brisket could have benefited from was a slightly thicker bark and perhaps a bit more rub.  Overall, the brisket was a marked improvement from my previous visit.  The beef rib was once again legendary (I won't go into details here, as I laid them out in my previous review), and the two sausage varieties I sampled (all beef and jalapeno and cheddar sausage) had great snap, taste, and smoke.  The only drawback to the menu was the offering of pork ribs, which I found somewhat lacking in taste and smoke despite their size and meat quotient.  In any event, I am very pleased to have a BBQ joint with quality brisket and beef ribs so close to home, and I plan on visiting Stiles Switch with some frequency in the future.


Revised Rating: 4.0 / 5.0


One more fun fact: After I returned home from Stiles Switch, I found out the joint's leasing space was the location of the Emporium pool hall in "Dazed and Confused".  That has to earn Stiles Switch some bonus style points.

The Emporium Pool Hall from "Dazed and Confused"

  
Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew


No comments:

Post a Comment