Sunday, October 24, 2010

Food, I have not been ignoring you.

I just realized I had not talked about food for a while on this blog. The truth is I have not been making the most elaborate of meals this week. I have been super swamped with work and other responsibilities, so most of my meals (including dinner) have been of the simple breakfast and lunch variety.

However, even a simple "lunch for dinner" meal can be tasty. Take my (somewhat large) dinner last night for example.


Two HTBLT (ham, turkey, bacon, lettuce, and tomato) sandwiches served with mayo and Udi's gluten-free white rice bread, Mission tortilla rounds* with guacamole, spinach salad with 365 brand basil pesto and diced feta, and milk. Simple, yet still classy as I served myself milk in a wine glass.

*I realize that Mission products are made in plants that also process wheat tortillas, but I honestly have never had an issue with Mission chips.

Now guacamole has become one of my favorite food items since I moved to Texas. I simply cannot get enough of it. And naturally, its tastier when its fresh, so I encourage making it yourself rather than buying some packaged mix.

John's Guacamole Recipe


Ingredients:

2 ripe (standard size) avocados
1/4 to 1/2 red onion, chopped
1 serrano pepper, minced (and seeded if desired)
3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 garlic cloved, minced
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
A dash of pepper
1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped

Steps:

1. Cut the avocados in half, spoon out the avocados into a mixing bowl (or if you're lazy like me, into a Tupperware container), and remove the seeds. Mash the avocados using a potato masher.
2. Add the onion, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, pepper, cumin, and garlic. Mash a bit more. Finally, add the serrano pepper. If you want to minimize the kick, make sure the pepper has been seeded. Enjoy some more mashing.
3. Once you are ready to serve, add the tomatoes and stir.

VoilĂ . Enjoy the creamy goodness.

Last night, I went to my friend Sarah's dinner party, and I discovered my good friend Chris's wife Jenn had made gluten-free cupcakes for me! I instantly became the happiest dude in the world. They were delicious and Jenn even decorated them as little pumpkins. I am convinced I have the most awesome friends in the world.




Finally, I should mention I just found photographs of another gluten-free meal I made myself last weekend. I grilled myself a medium-rare coffee-encrusted steak using some old espresso grounds to make the rub. Of course, I forgot exactly how I made the rub. Once I remember, I will be sure to post it.

2 comments:

  1. John -

    I just discovered this blog, and I'm loving the guacamole recipe! I love avocados and I've been meaning to make a good homemade guac for some time now. Thanks :)

    Kelly L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,

    I am glad you enjoyed the guac! I honestly consider it one of my food groups now =P.

    John

    ReplyDelete