Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Espresso in a Paper Cup

Okay, time for a mini rant. My vacation in Virginia has been fantastic in just about every way except one minor detail - I still have not found a coffee shop that can pull off that near perfect shot. In Williamsburg, Sarah and I have been visiting Aroma's, a busy little coffee shop right in the heart of the colonial district. It's a fun, local sort of place. During my first visit, the owner went out of her way to make me comfortable, mentioning the gluten-free cookies her daughter had made for the shop. Awesome in every way. However, I have had mixed experiences with the espresso shots I have been served there. My first one was fantastic. Perfectly extracted (crema and all) into a properly sized demitasse cup. However, my second shot was served in a paper cup, even though I had specifically said "For here." Is this just an artifact of Starbucks culture? The entire flavor of an espresso shot is ruined once it is transferred to such a vessel. Anyways, the rest of my espresso drinks at Aroma's have been, for the most part, quite passable, but they have always been served in gigantic mugs instead of a demitasse. As a side note, never never never mix orange juice and espresso, no matter how sick you might be getting. It is just a bad idea. That was my mistake.

Anyways, I figured the whole espresso in a mug thing might have been a consequence of how busy Aroma's can get. However, today, I experienced the same thing at Shockoe Espresso in Richmond. A shot of liquid into a giant mug. I should mention that the espresso was quite nice (although just a tad bit over-extracted), but why the mug? Why encourage a "crema vanishing act"? I think I have become too much of a snob for my own good. And if you know of a fantastic coffee shop in Virginia (and in particular in the Williamsburg area), please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment