Monday, May 13, 2013

New and Improved Goal List

As I mentioned in my last blog post, I will be moving to Boulder, Colorado this upcoming summer, and along with the change of scenery, I have designed a shiny new goal list.

1. Get tenure.
This one is pretty obvious.  The tenure system at CU-Boulder runs on a seven year clock, so this is one of the long-term goals on my list.  In the meantime, I hope to submit at least five journal papers and three grant proposals this upcoming year.  (Yeah, I really don't see much sleep in my immediate future.)


2. Become a first-time home buyer.
I was originally planning to wait to buy a home, but interest rates are ''historically low'' and there are signs that housing prices in Boulder will rise substantially in the coming year.  Besides, it would be really wonderful not to hear my next-door neighbor's every move late into the night.  With that in mind, Sarah and I might just have to move into the mountains.


3. Break 36:00 at the 2014 Bolder Boulder.
I really miss being fast or, at the very least, faster than I currently am.  So, when I officially decided to move to Boulder, I became increasingly excited at the possibility of getting back into shape and running the famous roads in Boulder and up and down mountains.  Next year, I am aiming to get down into the high 16:00's for the 5K and break 36:00 at the Bolder Boulder 10K, but in the future, I also hope to start doing some trail races/marathons.


4. Climb all of Colorado's Fourteeners.
There are 55 lofty peaks in Colorado that top 14,000 feet, and I want to conquer all of them.


5. Get serious about homebrew.
Sure, I have been having a whole lot of fun with the homebrewing experience.  I concocted a tasty sweet stout out of chestnuts and crafted a cider that will kick you in the pants.  However, I have only begun to scratch the surface.  In the coming years, I hope to up my game by taking various measures, including the following: (i) putting together an all-grain setup, (ii) kegging, (iii) purchasing a genuine cider-press, and (iv) building my own house bar.


6. Build a BBQ smoker.
I love BBQ and everybody knows it.  Unfortunately, I have tasted some of the 'cue in Colorado, and it just isn't up to snuff.  This has inspired me to build my very own BBQ smoker in the hopes that I might someday rival the likes of Aaron Franklin and John Mueller (okay, that might be a stretch).  In all seriousness, my uncle has actually managed to produce some quality BBQ on his own smoker in Denver, so I have some reassurance this isn't too misguided of a goal.

1 comment: