Sunday, April 22, 2012

A BBQ Review: Southside Market

Elgin, Texas - April 21, 2012

Elgin sausage.  Ever since I came to Texas nearly six years ago, I had heard tale of this mystical smoked meat.  However, it was not until I heard about the mutton offerings at Southside Market before I decided to actually make the short drive out to Elgin with my friends Zohaib, Andrew, and Zack.  We arrived shortly after 11 AM on a Saturday morning, and all of were ready to dig in.  I ordered a half pound of fatty brisket, two mutton ribs, and a third of a link of Southside's famous sausage.  And that's when I discovered the best part about Southside Market - all that meat cost me only thirteen dollars.


First up was the brisket.  The brisket was well-cooked, and the meat really just fell apart all over the place.  The fatty part of the brisket was also well rendered.  However, the brisket really had no taste to it.  I really could not pick up any hint of a rub, and I barely could taste notes of smoke.  My friends agreed with me on these two points, and we all needed BBQ sauce in order to finish our cuts of brisket.  All in all a disappointing offering.


Next up were the mutton ribs, and upon inspection of these ribs, I was excited to dig in.  They looked exotic and wonderful compared to the standard fair of pork and beef ribs.  The mutton ribs were absolutely wonderfully cooked, and they were packed with smokey and gamey flavor.  My friend Zack noted they did have quite a bit of fat on them, though I really did not mind too much.  The fat really just enhanced the flavor.  A fun alternative dish to traditional Texas 'que.


Last up was Southside Market's famous sausage.  When I took my first bite, I was rather put off by the mealiness of the sausage.  Furthermore, the sausage really lacked any kick or substantial flavor.  It was, simply put, boring.  As with the brisket, I needed BBQ sauce just to finish off the link.  Again, a disappointing offering.

After I finished off all the meat, I found my stomach still growling.  Somehow I still had an appetite, though I really did not want to return to the meat counter for more mediocre brisket and sausage.  As luck would have it, Southside has it's very own Blue Bell stand within its doors.  And so, I grabbed a large cup of homemade vanilla ice cream and started my long venture back to Austin.


Overall, I was relatively disappointed with the barbecue at Southside Market, especially given the hype surrounding their hot sausage.  If I was to return in the future, I would stick to the mutton ribs.

Rating: 3.0 / 5.0

No comments:

Post a Comment